AUTHOR: M.J. GDNUS
French President Emmanuel Macron condemned today's Israeli airstrikes on Beirut as unacceptable and called on Israel to withdraw from five positions it holds in Lebanon.
After Israel launched its first attack on Beirut since November, when a ceasefire ended the latest conflict between Israel and the Lebanese Hezbollah, Macron said in Paris that the renewal of tensions "marks a turning point," according to the Associated Press.
"Today's strikes and the violation of the ceasefire are unilateral actions that break promises and play into the hands of Hezbollah," Macron said during a joint press conference with Lebanese President Michel Aoun.
Macron also mentioned that he would speak with U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu later in the day about the situation in Lebanon.
He stated that France would continue to stand by Lebanon to help preserve its sovereignty and ensure its security.
"This is what we want to do with you in the south. This is what we want to do on the border with Syria, where the situation is also extremely delicate," Macron said.
Lebanese President Aoun also condemned the Israeli airstrike on southern Beirut's suburbs and any attempt to "bring back a cycle of violence" to Lebanon.
Aoun said the attack was a continuation of "Israel's violation of the ceasefire agreement" reached in November with the mediation of France and the U.S.
"I call on Lebanon's friends to act quickly to prevent the situation from worsening and help Lebanon implement international resolutions," Aoun stated.
Israel carried out its first airstrike on Beirut since the ceasefire went into effect on November 27, 2024, following the most recent war between Israel and Hezbollah, a Lebanese movement closely allied with Iran. Despite the ceasefire, Israel had conducted almost daily airstrikes on southern Lebanon.
The Israeli military today stated that it targeted a Hezbollah drone warehouse in Beirut, in an area it claims is a Hezbollah stronghold. It had previously announced these strikes as retaliation for attacks from Lebanon on northern Israel.
Hezbollah denied firing at northern Israel and accused Israel of seeking an excuse to continue its attacks on Lebanon.